Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Friday, August 18, 2006

What I'm grateful for today...

This morning I went in for my quarterly blood draw for the A1c test.

As I've mentioned before, it's not uncommon for me to faint during a blood test, or an IV insertion, or even when I got my ears pierced (but that's another story!) I'm the weirdo diabetic that faints during medical procedures, lucky me.

Lately I've been hitting up the only Lap Corp in San Diego that's open on Saturdays. However, on our last trip, my husband (poor guy) and I waited for 2 hours! Ridiculous! What made it worse was the technician. He was a nice enough guy, but he proceeded to give me a running commentary on how hard my veins were to find, how "rolly they are, and hard to pin down." This is not something a fainting prone person needs to hear as they're trying to keep from passing out!

Instead of dealing with the masses on Saturday (a wasting a perfectly good summer day in San Diego), I decided to get up early and get the blood draw out of the way this morning.

The technician at this Lab Corp knows me because she was the fortunate one to watch me pass out a few months ago! She is always very nice and told me to just lay down and relax. This woman is such a pro!! The entire procedure lasted... 30 seconds, maybe. She knows my veins are nearly invisible, so she ties off my arm and gives me the stress-ball type thing to squeeze. She doesn't comment on my unfortunate vein situation, she just finds it and gets it done!

So, today I'm grateful for the wonderful lab tech who makes this icky part of diabetes management much easier for me to deal with :)

Maybe I should learn her name.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Good lab techs are like angels.

    I bet between the lot of us in the OC we could come up with some real interesting lab stories...mostly involving bad lab techs.

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    K
    Little things can make a huge difference, no?
    At my clinic they don't use tape. but rather hold the cotton on with this really neat stuff that sticks to itself. I always try to come up with a scheme to get some "extra" because I use it to hold up my tomato plants - and the tech gave me a whole roll!
    Shameless I remain.

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Vivian said…

    I am so glad to hear you had a positive experience. Congrats.
    I hope the good thing snowballs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home