Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Lows, Lows, Lows

My blood sugar has not been over 100 mg/dl for the last 24 hours!

This week I realized that my high running blood sugars over the weekend were likely attributable to the Lantus vial that was nearly out... so I switched to a new vial Tuesday evening. That new Lantus is working overtime!!

Yesterday I gave myself 5 units of humalog all day... typically I do 10-11 units per day, so 5 is nothing! I did have a low carb lunch, but still.

The most annoying stretch was last night: I was 80 mg/dl at dinner. 2 chicken garlic enchiladas from Trader Joe's, 56 carbs. 2 units humalog. Two hours later, at 9:15 p.m. I was 58 mg/dl. For a bedtime snack I had half a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and jelly with 8 oz. non fat milk. No humalog. 8 units Lantus at 10 p.m. At 2 a.m. I woke up with a 56 mg/dl. Gulped down 8 oz of orange juice and fell back into bed. Woke up for good at 5:45 a.m. with a 51 mg/dl. What fun!

Since I started doing the bulk of my Lantus at 7 a.m., I've been having some high post breakfast readings. But, to be on the safe side today, I only had 1 unit of humalog for my breakfast. At 9 a.m., 3 hours post breakfast, I was 78 mg/dl (and my 7 a.m. Lantus hasn't started to peak yet!)

I suppose dropping my Lantus dose might be a good idea. In fact I gave myself 2 less units this morning than normal.

Pretty amazing how much better fresh insulin works huh?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home