Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Friday, June 23, 2006

JDRF Annual Meeting

Yesterday my husband and I attended the JDRF San Diego Chapter Research Update and Annual Meeting. What a great night!

I was sent an invitation because we participated in the walk last year, but we haven't been that involved in the chapter other than that event. I felt a little awkward, like we were barging in on an established group, but my husband marched right to the front for a good seat! I was really touched that he took such an active interest in the meeting.

We sat down to claim our seats before getting some appetizers, when the Executive Director of the chapter, Linda Riley came by to introduce herself. The entire staff was very welcoming, and even my husband, who worried he wasn't supposed to be there because he wasn't diabetic himself, felt right at home.

The highlight of the evening for us was the keynote address by Dr. Steven Edelman, the founder of TCOYD. What a great opportunity to get to hear Dr. Edelman's presentation on "The Latest and Greatest in Diabetes Management" in such a small group (about 75 people), especially in a JDRF sponsored event, so that the focus was squarely on type 1 needs.

I am proud to say that there weren't any advancements or new technology mentioned that I wasn't already somewhat familiar with. I have to thank the OC for that. I don't spend much time researching new products myself, but with the help of Amy and others, I've been introduced to the most important research being done for diabetes.

One interesting tidbit that Dr. Edelman mentioned was the supreme importance of continuous glucose monitoring. He is wearing the Dexcom, and has been for five years! He said that he'd trade all of the other advancements: symlin, analog insulins, the pump, everything for the continuous glucose monitoring technology. He considers it the most substantial piece of technology for good blood sugar control. I can't wait to get one!!

Periodicaly, during the presentation, Dr. Edelman would check the monitor and announce his reading. It was 178 mg/dl at first, and then the alarm buzzed to tell him he'd gone over 180 mg/dl. These were his post-dinner readings, he explained. I told my husband proudly, "My numbers were better than the doctor's during that meeting!" I was 77 mg/dl before the appetizers (and a little red wine) and 121 mg/dl after the meeting!! :)

We also discussed Symlin pretty extensively (not surprising since the event was held at Amylin Pharmaceuticals). Dr. Edelman has also been using this drug for years. Personally, when I asked my doctor about it, he told me I did not need to loose weight (I beg to differ!) Also, my post-meal blood glucose readings are fine, so I suppose it's not imperative, but it does seem interesting. Dr. Edelman made the prediction that Symlin would soon be used by obese patients, even those who don't have diabetes. A weight loss drug... amazing!

All in all it was a very informative and fun night. Perhaps this is just me, since I'm sort of new to the diabetes advocacy world, but I felt a sense of pride last night. Seeing all these people (many who have kids with diabetes) working so hard to find a cure for diabetes, for me and all of you, was very humbling. Having our struggle validated by this organization made me feel cared for, comforted, and respected.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    How cool! I'm going to see about using Dr. Edelman's untethered regime with O this summer, while she's attending soccer camp. Someone I know thru the parents list at CWD has him as an endo, which makes me pea green with envy.

    It sounds like it was a great evening.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    That's so cool that you went to the research update and nothing took you by surprise. What a rousing testimonial to the power of the Blogosphere!

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger Kynedra said…

    HI I'm Kynedra from St. Louis MO. I am the mother of a child who has Juvenile Diabetes. Brendon, was diagnosed at age 6 and now he is 8 and on an Animas pump. Together, we can make the cure a reality!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home