Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Friday, July 28, 2006

My Michelle!



I've always appreciated seeing pictures of the folks in the O.C. and I realized that none of you have seen one of me... (I'm in the pink!)

The only picture I had handy is of me and my best friend Michelle. I figured this is a good time to talk about my support system a bit.

I have been unbelievably blessed with friends and family who have the perfect balance of support and respect for my disease. They're the first to tell me how well I handle my diabetes. On the other hand, they never nag me or ask "Should you be eating that?" I really appreciate this, as fellow diabetics can attest!

Michelle was my college roommate for our sophomore, junior and senior years. She'd patiently wait for me to test my blood while everyone else ran off to the dining hall. She'd gently remind me to test my blood while we were enjoying a few cocktails! Michelle never complained when I turned on my light at 3 a.m. to test my blood, or staggered around trying to find something to eat!

Besides her attention to my diabetes stuff, she's just the dearest friend. Even know that we live 500 miles apart, with a quick phone call I can feel right back home in our friendship. She works at a middle school run by the Christian Brothers as a counselor. I strongly believe everyone should have a best friend that's a trained counselor, it's quite a gift! But as she told me the other day when I called her upset and said, "I need a counselor." She replied, "No, you need a friend!" She's the best.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Thank you for sharing the picture! I too always enjoy seeing what all of these "virtual" OC friends look like!

    She sounds like a great friend, and you are lucky to have such a great relationship with her.

    "We love you too Michelle!!"

    hehe!

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    A good friend like that is priceless......sometimes when somebody "suggests" or "reminds" me that I'm not making the wisest choice I get into a state of mpo (major piss-off) and think "IT'S MY LIFE - BUZZ OFF", but, all of our individual actions affect not only us, but everyone else in the collective "neighborhood".

     
  • At 10:57 AM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    First off, you are adorable. What a great smile you have.

    Secondly, I love Michelle. She's awesome. It helps so much to have a friend like that.

    Thirdly, I did not have a third thing to say. But leaving it at "first off" and "secondly" looked awkward. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home