Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Big News!

Preface: From what I've heard, the following explanation of my experience is NOT normal. Though, it should be...

I've been thinking about the pump for the past year. However, I was seriously on the fence about it until I got these
comments back to my post: "A Pat on the Back for Kelsey." Going back on NPH for a pregnancy just sounded incredibly unwise. Plus, I started to figure, "I'm afraid of the pump, but I'm going to experience child birth, I've got to toughen up!" It was time to face my fears and apprehension and go for it!

Last Wednesday I called the "diabetic nurse" (that's what they call her, maybe she's a CDE, I'm not sure) at my endo's office. Her name is Joann. I asked her, "What's the process for starting the pump?"

She replied, "I'll give your name to the pump rep, they'll call you and get your insurance information. Once you receive the pump, you set up an appointment with me and we'll do the training."

"Okay. I've been considering the Minimed and the Cozmo, I'm leaning toward the Cozmo, but I was wondering, from your experience, what do you see as the major differences?"

Joann explained, "Well, I wear the Cozmo."

"Oh! You're diabetic?! Did I know that?" I exclaimed.

To conclude our conversation, Joann broke down the differences between the pumps and basically told me, they'll all do the basics, but she's happy with her Cozmo. That sealed the deal!

I'd already pretty much picked Cozmo because of it's integrated pump (which takes Freestyle strips which I already use) and it's ability to use any insertion set. Since I have no idea which set with work best for me, I figured the more options the better. But now, to be trained by someone who uses the same pump, that would be awesome!!

So, up until now, this isn't that extraordinary of a situation... but it gets better.

The rep from Smiths Medical called me that same afternoon. His name is John and he's great! He asked me for my basic contact info and diabetes history and then asked what my insurance was. I told him United Healthcare and he replied, "Oh this will be easy."

Thursday late morning I get another call from John. He told me that everything went through on my insurance and he'd already received some information from my endo. Now he just needed to get the letter of medical necessity from the endo and we'd be set.

Wow, I thought. This is fast. So, I casually asked him, "So what will my copay be for all of this?"

"Oh, didn't I already tell you?"

"No, not yet."

"Let's see... you have a zero deductible and it's 100% covered."

"Really?!? Well, there must be a copay for the insertion sites, right?"

"Nope those are covered too."

I was stunned.

He went on... you have really great insurance, does your husband work for Verizon or Quest?

I replied, "No, but he works for a national law firm."

"Oh, that's it... they must have some buying power."

The thing is, my job also offers UHC, but it's terrible. I knew my husband's insurance was better, that's why I went with it, but this was beyond my expectations.

John went on to explain that I would have to pay out of pocket for IV preps. No problemo!!

Friday came and went. And of course I didn't hear anything over the weekend.

Monday morning, I have a voicemail at work from John. "I have the letter from your doctor, give me a call and we'll finish up the ordering process."

We got in touch around noon yesterday. I chose my color, dark gray. He asked me my height and determined that the 24 inch tubing would be good to start with. He also explained that they can set up a delivery every three months for my pump supplies to automatically be shipped to my house. Great!

So, tomorrow, Wednesday, exactly one week from when I placed my initial call to the nurse, I will have a insulin pump! They're delivering it to my work so I can sign for it :)

Joann is only in the office on Wednesdays, so I'll call her tomorrow and likely set up an appointment to train next Wednesday!

I'm SO excited! But, nervous too. I'm sure the first few insertions are going to be a bit traumatic. (I am the girl who passes out when she gets her blood drawn!) But, just like injections, I'll get used to it. Wow, maturity, what a concept!

As if this post wasn't long enough... one little story on how are bodies are smarter than our meters:

This morning I woke up at 6 am to get ready for work. Felt low. Tested: 142 mg/dl. Wow, huh. Washed my face. Still felt low. Tested: 52 mg/dl.

Yep, that's what I thought.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger George said…

    I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!
    Good luck and keep us in the loop.

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    Kelsey, that's great! I chose the Cozmo too and just started pumping yesterday.

    Today, I'm on my starting basal and so far so good (fingers crossed).

    What kind of sets are your getting to start?

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    Thanks for the support everyone!

    Johnboy~ You gotta let us know how it's going! I think they're sending me the Cleo 90 infusion sets. What do you have?

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Big time Congrats!!! That's awesome!

    You be sure to post any questions you have - the resources of the OC are seemingly limitless!!

     
  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Felix Kasza said…

    Hi Kelsey,

    Super! You will *love* the pump -- just give yourself the time to get used to it.

    Um, perhaps you may want to reconsider and go for the longer tuping? 23" is, for me, too short for comfortable sleep, too short to let the pump drop to the ground (the pump is way less sensitive to pain than my infusion site :-) ), and too short to, say, hide the pump in a thigh or claf pouch if you are dressing up.

    Cheers,
    Felix.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home