Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Comment from Mom

Not too many people in my real life read my blog... but my most faithful reader is my mom.

We were discussing my latest thoughts on the pump (more about that later) last night. Our conversation moved to the topic of the O.C. Mom said that the thing she likes best about our online community is how supportive and caring everyone is. I agree whole-heartedly. When you're dealing with so many individuals, each with their own way of doing things, you might find a bit of self-righteousness or stubbornness.

It's the opposite with our group. Everyone is quick to share what works for them, while always prefacing it with "whatever works for you is great!" The camaraderie that comes from a shared struggle is just awesome. I'm sure many of us don't have other type 1 diabetics in our everyday lives, so it's great to be able to share your thoughts and feelings with other people who know "exactly what you're going through."

So, I thought I'd share my mom's praise for our group.


Plus, I'd like to ask for prayer and happy thoughts for my mom today as she undergoes thyroid ablation. It's not a super serious procedure, but she'll be radioactive for a few days, so that's sorta worrisome.

However, an ablation doesn't sound as bad as what I called it for the last few weeks. I kept saying, "My mom is having her thyroid obliterated."


Well, kinda.

8 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Andrea said…

    I'll be thinking of you and you Mom...

    Keep us posted :)

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    That's terrific that your mother feels the community is supportive and inspiring. I agree with her. And so does my own mother (who is a faithful reader of my blog). :)

    And best of luck to your mom as she has her thyroid operation. I'll be thinking good thoughts for her.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger George said…

    Count me in on Prayers for Mom!

    I feel the same way about the OC.
    "Don't blog without it!"

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Our thoughts and prayers for your mom!

    The OC is the best thing since carb counting, no doubt about it. You help make that happen Kelsey!

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger art-sweet said…

    Thinking of you and your mom - and congrats on the A1C!

    I was a pump holdout for a long time, but I have to say, I love it, love it, love it.

    Which still doesn't mean it's right for you!

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    Art-sweet,

    My new thinking on the pump is: how can I say it's not right for me without at least TRYING it? I could love it, like it, hate it... but I won't know until I try.

    The odds are I'll like it, I've only known of a few diabetics that tried it and later quit.

    Thanks for the support!

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    Kelsey, I hope your mom's procedure went flawlessly. Your mom is in my prayers for a quick recovery.

    All the best. :)

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    I hope your mom's thing went well. Ablation. I've never heard that word before and I know a lot of words.

    For what it's worth, Olivia didn't want to pump for the longest time and now she's firmly in the "You'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands" camp.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home