Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

I'm nothing if not consistent

My quarterly endo appointment was yesterday. I've begun referring to these visits as my "report card." My doc sees me, and I quote as "one of those really healthy type 1s." I suppose he is comparing me to all the type 2s he sees who require much prodding just to test their blood a few times a day. Anyway, our visits are short with the most notable event being the A1C, hence my report card.

As I've mentioned previously, I started seeing this doc (my first true endo) last July. I hadn't had an A1C in years (college, moving, life, I've got plenty of excuses!) My first report card came back with a 7.3 which wasn't too bad considering my care was at a solid B- level. I decided to get that number down and start preparing my body for baby :) Three months later I was 6.4!! Three months after that: 6.3... then this latest result. Now, I have been working full time and finishing my course work for my masters and intense diabetes care had fallen a bit in my priority list! I told my husband right before my appointment: "I'll be satisfied with anything under 7!" So, my doctor gave me my report... 6.4. Wow, consistency feels good!

The reason this is so exciting is that pregnancy will require this kind of consistent care. I'd actually like my A1C to be closer to 6.0, if not below, while pregnant- but still, just being able to keep things in this range for almost a year feels great!

So, my log book is my closest companion and cooking healthy (and yummy) diabetic meals is my new pastime. I'm getting back into my running which helps the blood sugars greatly.

Oh, and I learned something new (sort of) from the CDE. The night before my appointment, my husband and I went on a 4-5 mile run. I was 90 mg/dl at 9:30 p.m., had a snack and was 150 mg/dl at bedtime. Fearing a low (which occur often after a strenuous workout) I had some O.J. Next morning?! 269 mg/dl! What?! I felt a little dehydrated and I've often wondered if the lack of properly rehydrating lead to higher blood sugars. The CDE told me that is exactly what happens! (I probably didn't need the OJ anyway though). I guess it makes sense... we need extra water when we're trying to get our blood sugar down. It was cool to officially put it together that not enough water can contribute to highs!

7 Comments:

  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Hey, awesome job on your A1c :) Must admit I'm a little jealous, lol, but I am so happy for you.

    Keep up the awesome job :)

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Keith said…

    First off, extreme mega-kudos on the A1c!!! Woohoo!!! I know how hard it can be to achieve these readings, I'm really excited for you. My last was 7.3 and I thought I had knocked myself out to get it that low. Oh, well live, learn and keep trying.

    I agree the exercise really helps the blood sugars. If I don't exercise my sugars just bounce like a ball... uuuppp and dddooowwwnnn and very little stability.

    I've found as my diabetes has 'matured' that I shouldn't eat anything after about 8:00p. If I do it seems like it just stays in my digestive tract and leaves me high in the morning. It's very difficult to calculate the correct bolus and to tell whether or not I should give an extended bolus.

     
  • At 7:01 AM, Blogger Keith said…

    Just curious Kelsey, what log book do you use?

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    I need to get a more sophisticated logging system, Keith. Mine consists of a small spiral notebook, a pen and a highlighter. I like to highlight my blood sugars so they stand out on the page. I was looking at the log book Scott suggested, but I haven't purchased any yet. Which do you like?

     
  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Kevin said…

    Wow!
    They sure are some Awesome A1c's. Keep up the great work.

    Keith & Kelsey - regarding logbooks, I've never been happy with anthing I've come across (though for years, I wasn't looking 'cause I wasn't recording), so I've created a nice spreadsheet that automatically plots out my numbers and calculates some averages for me.

    I find it particularly useful because there's a lot of room for notes, and since I have a desk job, I can just keep it open and fill 'er up as the day chugs along.

    If either of you are interested, just holer, and I'll be happy to share a copy of it with you.

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Keith said…

    Kelsey, currently I use a very crude excel spreadsheet. It tracks glucose and TDD numbers only. It needs to do more and/or I need another system. Just this morning I spiked and had to think back as to exactly what happened.

    Kevin, I would love to have a copy of your spreadsheet. If you don't mind send me a copy at: keith@topneedle.com

    Thanks!

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    Ooh, I'd love a copy too Kevin! Please email me at kelseybarnum11@hotmail.com.

    Thank you for sharing your resource!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home