Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

23 Days...

My streak made it 23 days...

Well, I made a strategic decision to change my exercise streak. Working out every single day is not realistic for me. I'm not trying to worm my way out of this (or maybe I am!) but here's my reasoning:

On Tuesday I woke up at 5 am to get dressed and ready for work which began at 6:30. No real time to exercise before work, unless I wanted to get up at 4 am, but I think we can all admit that's a bit excessive. I worked from 6:30 to 3 pm, drove to class, attended my Latin American history seminar from 4 to 6:45 pm. My blood sugar had been good all afternoon and was 106 mg/dl as I left class.

Here was the dilemma. If I exercised at 106 mg/dl with no insulin working in my system (my last humalog injection was over 6 hours ago) It would probably raise my blood sugar. If I gave myself some insulin at 106 to exercise, I would definitely need a snack to avoid a low. That 150 calorie snack would be just a few less calories than I'd burn in a 30 minute workout. If I skipped the workout, I'd be at a perfect blood sugar to have dinner. See the problem? If exercise is about burning calories and ultimately losing weight (which it is for me) than eating something just to workout doesn't make a lot of sense. Don't get me wrong, I do eat a snack before exercising quite often, but when you know the workout is going to be pretty weak, it doesn't feel worth it.

My exercise "streak" has been altered, but not abandoned! I'm thinking of doing a weekly streak. In order to have a week count, I'll have to exercise at least 5 days out of the week. This way I can take breaks throughout the week when my schedule doesn't permit a good, long workout. Also, I'll exercise more strenuously during my five workouts than I would when I'm trying to fit in something everyday. Like, this past week. After taking Tuesday off, I woke up early Wednesday and did my long, tough Tae-bo workout.

Today I also don't have time for a workout. I have the same work and school schedule as Tuesday and tonight is the Gonzaga vs. UCLA basketball game at 7 pm. This game is huge in our house. It's actually the first real test of our marriage. Dennis (my husband) is a UCLA Bruins fan and I'm a fan of Gonzaga and my diabetic buddy Adam Morrison. My husband and I are big sports fans. Watching baseball, basketball and especially football is a large part of our life together. But, in our three year relationship we've never seriously been for opposing teams. Someone may very well be sleeping on the couch tonight :)

I'll keep you posted on my weekly exercise streak. After this week, I'll have four consecutive weeks of at least 5 days of exercise. Not too shabby!

Go Zags!!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Hi Kelsey!

    I think that sounds like a good plan. Things must work for us in order to work for us - knowwhatimean?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home