Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Let the Streak Begin!

So, I'm attempting to join John and others in a 100 day exercise streak.

I'm in a good routine of Tae-bo on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. I can get up early and do them before having to be at work at 8 am. The difficulty for me are my Tuesdays and Thursdays. I start work at 6:30 am; leave for class at 3 pm; have class from 4 to 6:40 pm; get home, make dinner, study, and try to be in bed by 10 pm, so I can wake up the next morning at 5:00 am to do Tae-bo.

Hmm. We have a gym in our apartment complex, so sneaking in a workout is a possibility. In fact, this Tuesday our class was cancelled for student/professor conferences, so I still left work at 3 pm and had a nice walk/run on the treadmill for 35 minutes. It had been awhile since I ran, so it felt good to get back into it.

I guess I'll try to hit the gym for a quick half hour when I get home from class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It won't be my most intense workouts, but at least it'll keep the streak going.

I am constantly AMAZED by how much exercise helps my blood sugars. I did Tae-bo Saturday, but not Sunday or Monday (plus my period started, which we women know can wreck havoc on blood sugars!) and I went over 300 mg/dl on Monday! It's been months since I was over that mark!! Since my workouts Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, I've been golden, never over 150 mg/dl! Plus my insulin needs are really low!

With all the stuff I'm cramming into my life this semester, I really NEED to exercise to keep my energy and blood sugar control. So, even though it'll be tough to fit everything in, I think it'll be worth it.

So, my streak is starting off at 2 days already... Wish me luck! :)

3 Comments:

  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    Kelsey,

    Wow, very impressive! You are doing awesome, even with all the hectic-ness of work and all. I'm in awe of people like you who can manage everything at once and not feel totally overwhelmed or exhausted (I know I would be).

    Keep up the great work :)

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I think it's awesome that your blood sugars are so in control on the days you exercise. Exercise is almost like a miracle drug for diabetes control.

    Good luck with your streak!!

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger BetterCell said…

    Hi Kelsey and thanks for coming by to my Site. Exercise, Diet and Insulin are the Three Horses that will balance our Bodies in spite of Diabetes. The Fourth One is living a Stress-Free Life Style which I do not know if anyone has achieved(maybe the Monks that live in the Mountains).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home