Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Food... Our Friend?!

I've been reading a lot of blogs about food choices lately, and it got me thinking.

I was always a skinny girl (of course I didn't think so at the time!) I had good eating habits and didn't like a lot of junk food. Then, diabetes struck! At 14 years old I suddenly started gaining weight. (We're all familiar with the diabetes weight gain thing, so I don't have to elaborate!) Then I started college. I remember being over at the house where I was a nanny and physically not being able to stop myself from raiding the pantry. Now, maybe it was the college dorm food I was subjecting myself too, or something, but I just HAD to eat Cheez-its, chocolate kisses, chips, whatever the house was stocked with. I didn't have great self-esteem at the time and I had pretty much reached my highest weight (admittedly not that much, around 165, but I'm 5'3'').

Fast forward 7 years and I now have a very healthy relationship with food. It dawned on me the other day, that I don't think about food much at all anymore (in that craving, have to have it sort of way.) When and how did that change?!

Well, first of all, I left my negative, hurtful college boyfriend that liked to tell me, "You're beautiful, but you'd be even more beautiful if you lost "x" number of pounds." And met my amazing husband who loves me for me! What a novel idea :) I'm sure maturity had something to do with it too, but I know a lot of adults who struggle with food.

Not that I'm the expert on this, not by any means... but I feel like I have some insight on this because somehow my attitude towards food changed without me even noticing it! That's to say that it's definitely a process and not going to happen overnight.

First of all, food is fuel for our bodies. There are so many great foods that our bodies need! We all the know the usual suspects: fish, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy, nuts, etc. Trying to fit all of those healthy food into our diet leaves a lot less room for junk food!

Also, I try to think of my eating from the big picture perspective. If I want to indulge, say in my favorite unhealthy food a cheese enchilada...yum, I do it. But then I eat a lot of vegetables for the next couple days and balance out my nutrition needs and calorie intake. Everyone knows we can't limit our favorite foods completely, we'd never be successful. Here's a good example: there is a great Mexican food place about 1/4 mile from my work! They have an enchilada special on Wednesdays, where you get the enchilada, rice and beans and a soda for $4. You can't beat it! Well, I took full advantage of the special for quite a few months! Suddenly the meal didn't satisfy me as much and I felt guilty every time I ate there. I decided to wait awhile between visits. I even marked it off on my calendar and only allowed myself to eat there once a month. It worked well. I ate better and when I splurge I loved the food and didn't feel guilty! Instead of forbidding food from your diet, how about making a point of having it every once in awhile and really enjoying it. I'm serious, mark it on your calendar and look forward to it!

Okay, there's my two cents on the food issue. It's seriously an ongoing battle for all of us diabetics. Not only do we deal with the normal food things like eating for comfort, boredom or just because it tastes good, but then you factor in the blood sugar maintenance aspect of food... You end up with a big mix of reasons to eat or not to eat, it's overwhelming!

We have to eat to live. Food shouldn't be our enemy!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Thank you for posting about this. Food is the biggest challenge for me with my diabetes control (and weight and general overall health too!)

    I got a lot of good stuff from this post, and I appreciate you sharing it with us!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    There is definitely a buzz in the community about exercise and our relationships with food. Bit of a tricky disease, this diabetes, making us allied associates and arch enemies with every morsel that crosses our lips.

    Bravo on making peace with your plate!

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    I think your tips apply to everyone, whether they have D or not. I've started to do the same thing, and in spite of being 16 and a bit weeks pregnant, I've lost 10 lbs. I'm eating plenty of food, I'm just eating better.

    Although I can't give up chocolate completely. It ain't gonna happen.

     
  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    Man, I totally understand what you are talking about! I have found that since I started blogging, the majority of my posts have been about how to find diabetic versions of my favorite foods!! It is maddening!!! Good job!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home