Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Interviews!

I've been MIA lately due to extreme paper writing! Luckily I got on Allison's list of interview questions, so here's a blog to make up for my month long absence:

1. How did you become a Christian?

Well, I was baptized Catholic as a baby, so for some people they'd consider that moment as when I became a Christian. But I know what you mean Allison... When my siblings and I were young, there were two religious summer camps nearby, one Catholic and one Protestant. My mom looked into Camp St. Michael's for us, but she didn't like the fact that they split kids up from their friends. Sending her young kids to camp for a week without anyone they knew did not appeal to her. So, she sent us to Triumphant Life Camp (TLC). I attended this camp for 6 summers. My brother, sister and I had to defend our Catholicism a lot, explain that we didn't worship Mary, etc. But the biggest impact TLC made on my faith was the personal relationship with Christ that my Catholic upbringing had sorely lacked. Also, my parents were involved in an ecumenical retreat organization. My family's faith was always Christian, we just practiced it through Catholicism. My husband is Catholic (He's Mexican, so the ties to the church are deep rooted) however he also feels that to believe Jesus is your savior is the key to Christianity rather than all the dogma. We got married by a good friend of our family who is a non-denominational ministerhadn't e hadn't yet established a relationship with a Catholic parish when we got married in San Diego. We're now in the process of deciding how we want to raise our children. There are a lot of things I don't agree with in the Catholic church and I'd love to raise my children without all the "Catholic guilt" stuff. However, we believe in the Eucharist and love the tradition of our faith, especially as part of our family history. So, we'll see. To answer your question Allison, I've sort of always been a Christian and I've rededicated myself to my faith many times over the years.

2. How did you meet your husband?

Actually, at work. So I'm the one telling people, "sure, go for that office romance!" I moved to San Diego to be near my college boyfriend after graduation. I worked as a receptionist at a big office downtown. Dennis (my hubby) was the file clerk at the firm. We were great friends right away. We're both huge sports fans, so we chatted about that endlessly. My college relationship was extremely unhealthy and Dennis was a great person to share my feelings with. One day we decided to bar hop around San Diego to watch the NCAA Tournament... everything changed that day. We had the most amazing time, just talking and getting to know one another. A week later I finally ended my old relationship and Dennis and I started dating. We tried to take it slowly, but I guess you don't have that much control over how quickly feelings develop. We were married a year and a half later. One thing to know about us is that we have a 17 year age difference... He's 43, not 9! It sounds like a lot, but it's really not a big deal at all. As my soon to be brother-in-law told my sister: "It just seems like Kelsey should be with someone more mature." It's amazing how well we fit as a couple. It has definitely made me learn that as far as looking for a mate, you can't limit yourself to age, race, etc. Love comes in the most wonderfully unexpected packages!

3. Why did you go back to school?

The funny thing is, I didn't know I really wanted to study history until I was a year into the program. Here's the background: my undergrad degree was a Great Books Program. We read everything from Plato and Aristotle to Shakespeare and Freud. It was amazing! After that experience, I just wanted to read and learn forever. I looked into Philosophy grad programs, but reality set in that there are very few jobs for a MA in Philosophy. History seedid notlike a better fit. Since I didn't take a single traditional history class in college, jumping into the discipline as a graduate was tough. I had the most amazing, challenging professor my first semester and I cried every week. It was tough! But now, with my coursework almost done (next week!) and just my thesis ahead of me, I love history. I'm excited to teach it (hopefully at the junior college level) and it's truly changed the way I see the world.

4. What is one thing you have always wanted to do but have been to scared to try?

Two things immediately come to mind: start the pump and have a baby. Of course I haven't wanted to have a baby forever, but the feeling has been strong for over a year and I'm nervous. But, as soon as my thesis is finished (or nearly so) we will be trying. I'm blessed to be in San Diego where they have an amazing Reproductive Endo program that will help me every step of the way. I'll conquer that fear. The pump is something that I'm realizing would probably be good, but I HATE, HATE, HATE the idea of having something stuck in me all the time. Keep in mind I still pass out when I get by blood drawn for my A1C. I know I'd eventually get used to the insertion sites, but that first week, month... would be miserable. I'm thinking I might feel better about a tubeless pump, or a pump that integrated with a continuous glucose monitor because then the advantages would definitely outweigh my fears. So far my A1Cs have been good enough (6.3-6.5) that my doctor's aren't pushing me to start it. We'll see!

5. Who is your inspiration?

I have so many... Jesus is the inspiration for my life, everything I do and everything I am. My love for God leads to all the human love I've been blessed with. Dennis inspires me to live each day with a smile and love unconditionally. My mom inspires me as a mom, a nurturer. My dad inspires me with his peace. My best friend Michelle inspires me to "let my light shine" and treat everyone with respect. My sister Sarah inspires me to be confident and hold my chin up. My brother Robert inspires me to be passionate and daring. My mother-in-law inspires me to be wise and to learn Spanish! My friend Beth inspires me with her independence and silliness. My future children inspire me to take excellent care of my body and soul.


Now it's your turn! Here are the instructions:
Leave me a comment saying "interview me." The first five commenters will be the participants.I will respond by asking you five questions.You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Happy Interviewing! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home