Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

5 Random Things

I don’t know if I’ve been officially tagged or not, but since I’ve been sort of MIA on my blog lately, I bet not. I love the idea of 5 Random things, so here are mine:

1. I love soup. I eat it a lot. I never go to a restaurant without asking what the “soup de jour” is. My favorite is probably Chicken Tortilla, which can actually differ quite a lot from place to place. When I go out with a group to lunch or dinner, I’m often the only one ordering soup, and I sometimes order it as my entrée. Of course, you have to avoid the really creamy soups, since they’re full of fat. Luckily I enjoy the soups full of veggies and broth. Yummy!

2. I was born and raised in the Redwoods. I’m from Eureka, a small coastal town in Northern California. Giant Redwoods are all around us. Since it’s where I grew up, I don’t realize how amazing they are to people who haven’t seen them… but I’m told that many people are totally impressed by these huge trees. They are beautiful.

3. Sports are one of my favorite things. I love to play them, especially softball and tennis, but I also really enjoy watching them. I can watch sports I’ve never even played, like soccer and volleyball. My favorites though, are baseball, basketball and football. My husband is an even bigger sports nut, so we’re like two peas in a pod (lots of food metaphors!) My favorite teams are: the Miami Dolphins, University of Miami Hurricanes, San Francisco 49ers, Phoenix Suns and the team closest to my heart, the San Francisco Giants.

4. My hands are really small and chubby. I’m sort of petite, but my hands are really small, and no matter my weight, they’re chubby! The imprint of my hand I made in kindergarten looks like a 2 year olds. Oddly, my palms are pretty much normal sized and my dad says that we have “Norwegian rowing hands” because apparently big palms help with rowing?! I’ve never rowed anything.

5. My undergraduate major was a program called Integral. It’s a Great Books Program that spanned basically all of Western thought. Classes were seminar style, so 15 of us would do a reading and come to class to discuss it. We read everything from Homer and Plato to Marx and Nietzsche. We also studied Ancient Greek as our foreign language so we could translate parts of Aristotle and the Book of John in the Bible. Our math tutorials started with Euclid and covered Ptolemy, Copernicus and Newton. We traced the development of philosophy, language and mathematics as they developed in the western world. I miss that program and my classmates a lot. I know this education colors my thinking of the world and I’m so grateful to have had this experience.

So, those are my five. I think everyone's been tagged, but if not, please jot down your five things. It's fun to hear about the "non-diabetes" related things in our diabetic friends!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    You have been...I tagged you.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger NewsBlogger said…

    Hello, my name is Kelsey,
    I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION aboutdiabetes and found your site.
    I was looking out for diabetes related information. Anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.
    Sorry, I have see that your 5 Random Things wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest.
    It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

    Fritz

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Kelsey - turn on word verification to get rid of those spammer comments. They'll drive you mental.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home