Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Love-Hate Relationship with Pizza and other musings

Is there anyone that doesn't like pizza?! I mean, really it's delicious! My absolute favorite is Round Table's King Arthur Supreme. Luckily the closest one to our apartment is not within delivery range. Otherwise we'd have it weekly I'm sure!

So, yesterday I was covering for a co-worker and ordered pizza for the tax group. I didn't plan on having any, but... they insisted I take some as repayment for my organizing the meeting. It was really good pizza, so I decided to partake. My bg before was 172, darn already high! But here's the thing: I have this weird "insulin ceiling" in my brain. I rarely give myself more than 5 units of humalog at a time. Usually this is a good thing because it forces me to eat less carbs. However, sometimes it's just dumb! I had my two slices of pizza and gave myself 5 units. Now, this would have been fine if I'd worked out that morning, or had a particularly busy afternoon, but I hadn't and I didn't. So, before class I rang in at 288 and proceeded to be in the mid 200's for the rest of the day! I made the proper corrections, but somehow that pizza kept me up all day. Why did I even eat it?! I should have had my nice, low carb lunch and avoided the dreaded, yet delicious pizza! Just another reminder of why we don't eat those high carb meals, right Kelsey?!

In more fun news... I watched the sweetest, most touching movie last night. Those of you with kids probably saw it months ago: Because of Winn-Dixie! Oh, I loved it! My husband read the synopsis and thought it sounded like something we'd like. I cried my eyes out! I have been working so hard for the past month, I haven't allowed myself to "feel" much. I'm a very emotional person normally, so I guess I had a lot of stored up tears :) I recommend it highly though. It's just a very sweet, feel good (yes, despite the tears) movie.

This post is jumping all over the place! Tomorrow my husband and I are driving up to San Luis Obispo to celebrate my little sister's graduation from Cal Poly! She is receiving her degree in Animal Sciences with a concentration on Beef Production. I'm very proud. She's worked really hard! I'm also excited to see her engagement ring :) Sarah (that's my sister) has done so much for me, as I graduated college and got married in the last few years. It's my turn to celebrate and support her!!

Have a fun and healthy weekend everyone!!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    I can relate... Sometimes I'll bring such a nice, healthy lunch to work, but as the time for lunch draws near, I find that something leads me away from eating that meal. Not to blame my coworkers, I know it's my decision, but usually someone will suggest something and whatever that is will sound too good to pass up . It's hard when you are faced with that kind of temptation, to stay disciplined and say "no, thanks." Don't beat yourself up, we're all human :). Hope you enjoyed that pizza.

     
  • At 6:22 AM, Blogger Major Bedhead said…

    Pizza is a blood sugar monster in my house, too. Are you pumping? If so, have you tried doing a combo or dual wave bolus? I do this with Olivia - give her 60% of the insulin up front and the other 40% over 2 hours. It really seems to help and it might get your head around that 5 unit maximum. Olivia had to take 10 units for breakfast the other day (she had chocolate chip pancakes) and I was a bit freaked, but she was fine.

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger Lyrehca said…

    Hi,

    I LOVE pizza, but don't eat it nearly as much as I used to. Truly, getting over that five-unit issue will do wonders. For two slices of thin-crust pizza, I may take eight units now, then square two or three units over four to eight hours. I've definitely bolused up to 20 units for a super high meal. Giving yourself more insulin is exactly what a non-diabetic's body does automatically, and if you're trying to keep your sugars reasonable and not worry about the weight gain that comes with eating more and taking more insulin (which again, is what happens in non-diabetic bodies), you may be able to handle pizza through your own trial and error about how much you need and what kind of pizza you're eating.

    All best,
    Lyrehca
    Managing the Sweetness Within

     

Post a Comment

<< Home