Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Frustration!

Well, the object of my frustration has now passed, so I can write about it. As mentioned in my previous blog, the flu shot last week sent my blood sugars sky high! I felt reassured by reading comments that other diabetics, (i.e. Kerri and Joseph) had similar reactions to their flu shot. However, my highs lasted until yesterday. Not highs actually, but I was doing at least twice as much insulin per day for half as much food... frustrating!!

So, per my husband's sweet urgings, I called the endo yesterday just to let him know what was going on. I was greeted by the receptionist who quickly informed me "Oh, that's not from the flu shot!" Thank you lady with zero medical expertise, I think I'll talk to the doctor or nurse. (I didn't actually say that but really wanted to!) She went on to ask me what my numbers were running. I told her I'd had a few 300s over the last four days. She said "Okay, so you're running in the 300s?" I replied "No, I'm not running in the 300s, but I'm having to use an extraordinarily large about of insulin to keep my numbers down." I then just let a message for the nurse.

A few hours later a very nice nurse called and I explained the situation. She said, as I predicted, "you're doing the right thing, just keep at it, it'll get back to normal." She also reminded me not to overdo the doses, because it'll just pool up and send me crashing (as had happened a few times) I thanked her and explained that I just needed some reassurance.

This incident reminds me, I have been told by other doctors that I'm particularly sensitive to medications. I guess my system is just reacting more extremely to this darn flu shot!

It's funny, since I've been in such good control the last 3-4 months, these highs stood out a lot more than they might have in the past. Consequently, I'm frustrated, but that's good... it means I know how good my blood sugars should be!

5 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Sandra Miller said…

    You know, Joseph has been running much higher since that flu shot as well... I was thinking it was the change in the weather (here in Wisconsin we've already had snow!), and thus the decrease in activity that was behind the recent spate of highs.

    But, since you're in San Diego and have likely not had any real weather change, I'm beginning to wonder if that flu shot might be at least part of the problem here.... hmmm.

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    We're having warm, dry weather here... just like normal :) I am absolutely sure the flu shot raised my numbers and the nurse confirmed that it does happen. I just stayed on top of it, tested every 2 hours and adjusted. Now it seems to be getting back to normal.

    You'd think doctors might alert diabetics that this happens, since the flu shots are encouraged for us... Good luck to you and Joseph!

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Kelsey, same "flu shot" experience here. It was a troubling three days because I felt okay, but why I was sporting ketones and 240plus sugars was a frustrating mystery.

    I'm glad you're back in range-ish levels. Until next winter, eh?

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Andrea said…

    I opted not to get a flu shot, maybe a stupid move, but I haven't had a problem in the past with the flu. Now watch, I probably just jinxed myself...

    Anyway, I think most of us can understand your frustration, we've been there. What tends to get to me is not knowing why a reading is what it is...It used to drive me crazy. Now I just try to deal with the reading and move on, it's not worth dwelling on it. Ok, that's not exactly true, but I'm working on not letting myself get too upset about things. I'm glad to hear things are improving for you. One suggestion for when you have difficult times in managing sugar levels...I don't know how often you are testing, but you might want to increase it...just to make sure it isn't a problem with your carb counting or carb to insulin ratio. Also, it might help you to keep detailed logs of your readings and what you have been eating. That way you will be have good information to provide to your doctor

    From what it sounds like, you are doing a really good job, so don't forget that :). Congrats on your A1c! :) :) :)

     
  • At 4:26 AM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    Kelsey, it sounds like you are doing what you need to do to keep things on track despite the frustrations. Congrats!

    I missed the flu clinic at work and now must line up for another opportunity in a few days. If I have a similar reaction, at least it won't be a surprise.

    Take care.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home