Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Lowest Reading Ever!

This past weekend my husband and I went up to San Luis Obispo for my sister's graduation. On Friday night we went out to Japanese food, yummy! I had sake for the first time. Kinda like rubbing alcohol I have to say. Anyway, I don't know if it was the sake, overdosing for the bit of white rice I ate, or the excercise from the morning... but Friday night I woke up, felt low, tested and came in at: 25! Yes, you read that correctly. I know because I checked my meter memory three times! I just could not believe it.

I know our readings can be off by a certain range, but still... that's pretty low. The scary thing was I didn't feel that low. I've always been able to feel my lows and I always wake up at night. However, since I've been getting my blood sugars down into a better range, I notice that my lows feel differently. I used to feel shakey and kinda tipsy :) but now it's more like I zone out and feel spacey, then I realize I should test. My husband woke up with me and when I told him my number he grabbed my hand and held it while I chopped down a Snickers with Almonds. Three hours later I was only 82 and I proceeded to be kinda low all day.

So, that's my story of my lowest blood sugar reading ever! My previous "record" was 30, but that was at least 7 years ago. Let's hope this record stands up a lot longer! :)

2 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Rachel Segall said…

    Wow... whenever I have a reading that low I always think, "that's only a few points away from 0!!!" I bet the low was due to a combo of exercising and drinking. Even if I have one drink my blood sugar drops the next morning. Exercise never helps. Have you ever tried temp. basal on days when you exercise and/or drink? That has helped me the past couple of months.

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger JustLinda said…

    My husband (type-1) has noticed that when his lows come on very slowly, they don't FEEL that low. He has had a low of 36 where he was lucid and he has had a low of 47 where he went into convulsions and was unconscious. The difference, we believe, is that when a low comes on FAST, it hits much harder than a slow coming one.

    Anyway, new to your blog, wife of a T-1, and just thought I'd add that thought to your post...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home