Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2006!

Happy New Year all!

My apologies for ignoring my blog over the Christmas vacation. I spent the last week and a half visiting family and friends in Northern California in the middle of terrible winter storms! Fun! Actually, my husband and I somehow managed to plan our travels perfectly around the worst storms and faired much better than, for instance, my mom and her boyfriend who traveled from Eureka to Sacramento in 11 hours (that trip should take 5-6 hours tops!)

I assume I'm not alone in realizing, once again, that the holidays are no friend to the diabetic. My blood sugars didn't end up terribly high, but they were running higher than I'd like. Now I'm trying really hard to get them near perfect again, so my A1C next month isn't totally blown!

I'm very excited for 2006! There is a lot of work ahead of me, and hopefully some fun! Next semester I will be taking two graduate classes (the last of my course work) and working full time. I'm very motivated to get my classes finished so I can begin my thesis! Once that's done... it's baby time! :) Honestly, I'm most excited about starting our family, but I need to get this degree finished. Plus, I still want some time to get my body baby-ready as far as my blood sugars. I was excited to reach my lower A1C, but maintaining that level of control is another battle.

So, if there are any diabetics (particularly type 1's) who've had a baby, I'll be interested in picking your brain over the next year! I'm pretty nervous about the pregnancy and especially the delivery, mostly because I'm a big wimp! :) I know I'm stronger than I give myself credit for (at least that's what my mom says!) but any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

One last note: Now that I've attempted to join the blogging world, I have a lot of admiration for the great OC bloggers out there. It takes a lot of thought, energy and dedication to come up with interesting topics for posts and to blog faithfully. Thanks for doing what you do and inspiring the rest of us!

2 Comments:

  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger Allison said…

    Welcome back, Kelsey! Happy New Year!

    Erica, over at This Body Provides A Comfortable Home, just announced her pregnancy. There are a couple others (The Sweetness Within is the only one that comes to mind) who are also seeking the low BG readings to get pregnant. Go to the official site to access the blogs.

    Good luck with everything! Getting pregnant is the farthest thing from my mind right now, but it will be interesting to see how others do it. I've always (well, since age 13) planned on adopting, for reasons other than diabetes, but there's always the possibility I'll have my own children. This will certainly prepare me for what may happen!

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    Yup come on over! I'm 6 weeks pregnant so you are welcome to hang out with me for the next 9 months ;-)

    This is not my first pregnancy but my first with Type 1 - since I was only just dx'd in October.

    Good luck with finishing your classes and writing that thesis!

    -Erica
    http://comfortablehome.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home