Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Cycles

I've been thinking a lot lately about how diabetes is cyclical, at least for me it is. And I suspect that others have the same experience. I started my ultra tight diabetes care around mid-August and successfully lowered by A1C from 7.3 to 6.4 in just over three months. Man, I was feeling good about myself! Then, the flu shot I received in mid-November sent me for a week of highs, then of course the holidays kick in and now I find myself in a less than wonderful diabetes phase!

Maybe I let my guard down after learning I could and did lower my blood sugars. It's frustrating though. I guess I'm realizing that great diabetes care requires that intense level of focus and care all the time!

I've noticed this cycle of highs and lows on a smaller scale too. When I exercise for a couple days, I'll be low for awhile. Then, I must be tired of being low all the time, so I let myself go a little high, but then it's too high, so I correct and have a period of lows. It's not like swinging blood sugars, just one big overcorrection, but rather a few days of lows, followed by a few days of running a bit high, etc.

Does anyone else experience this? It's probably a symptom of not being as intense about my care as I was a couple of months ago. Time to get back on the wagon :)

1 Comments:

  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    I think we all go through the cycles. Not sure why, but I always pictured my own swings from being obsessive and reckloose as more of a slow pendulum swinging back and forth from one extreme to the other.

    Finding balance is the trick, and boy, what a trick it is!!! Although, I think that can be said about life in general.

    I got such a chuckle out of Gina's comment and referring to it as OCD. Boy, that's so true sometimes!

    I do great when I'm obsessing over everything, but it's such a drain that I can't keep it up for long.

    Work to find the balance. That's the key.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home