Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A cure

You know what's weird? I don't ever think about a cure for diabetes.

Since I've been purusing the diabetes blogs online, I've noticed that a cure for the disease is a frequent topic of conversation, which made me realize that I never consider that diabetes will be cured in my lifetime! Now, I consider myself an optimist, a "glass half full" kind of person, but that's a pretty pessimestic attitude. This epiphany made me wonder: when along the line did I give up the hope for a cure? Was it when the year 2000 passed, which was when my pediatrician said there would be a cure? Was it when my doctor, a type 1 himself, explained to me the power of the diabetes care industry, that has a vested interest in keeping people living with the disease? Afterall, a cure isn't as profitable as supplying people with insulin! Or did I just stop allowing myself to hope, feeling that the disappointment had become too much? I don't really know, I suspect it was a combination of factors.

However, as I have started taking better care of my diabetes, visiting fellow diabetic's blogs and participating in my first (of many!) Walks for Diabetes, I've seemed to have caught the hope for a cure! It would be simply wonderful to not have to calculate carbs, test my blood or do injections!

I'm starting to let myself hope for a cure...not tomorrow, or next month, or even by the year 2010... but sometime in my lifetime. What a blessing that day will be!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Welcome to The O.C.!

    I was surprised to see my name in your first post. Surprised, following by a small bit of a blush, then realized I was a little dizzy, stopped to test, rang in at 61 mg/dl, had two glucose tabs, and commenced drafting my comment. Par for the course, eh?

    I'm with you on that cure. I've been told "Five years, Kerri. Just about five!" for the last 19 years. I don't expect to see this cure tomorrow. Or maybe not even within the next five years. But I'll be ready when it rolls through. And I'll start another blog.

    "Twenty-Three Until Me."

    This time, "Me" can be the Cure.

     
  • At 11:59 AM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    By the way, I've linked you from "Six Until Me."

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    When I was first diagnosed I came home from Joslin with a vanity plate that had "The 80's: the decade for the Cure." God- I wish I knew what ever happened to it.

    I don't really ever think of a cure either- I just assume it's out there somewhere. And what a big surprise it will be when they find it.

     
  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Vivian said…

    I am really glad that you are allowing yourself to believe again. There is something magical about the positive outlook, kind of like how faith helps people have better health.
    Vivian

     

Post a Comment

<< Home