Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Patting myself on the back and humility

I'm incredibly proud of myself right now!

A little over three months ago I had my first A1C in a little while (yes, I've had diabetes for 12 years, but I don't know college, moving, trying to find a new doctor... I just hadn't had one done in a bit) Anyway, it was 7.3 which I actually didn't feel that badly about since I had been giving my diabetes just adequate attention for quite awhile. Thus began the redoubling of my efforts to get my blood sugars down. I've been writing down every bg, insulin dose, bite of food, excercise, even sex! in my journal for over 4 months now! I could tell that my blood sugars were down quite a bit and I had overcome some bad habits, for example having a good number and worrying that I'd get low (for no logical reason) thus eating and raising my blood sugar!

I saw the endocrinologist yesterday to get my report card. I was hoping to just be below 7.0. I didn't want to get my hopes up too much. Well, the magic number is: 6.4!! It feels amazing to know that my effort has paid off and I CAN achieve this level of control... yeah!!

Don't worry my ego has not been too inflated since I had a terrible day yesterday! I may have forgotten my injection at lunch or else I seriously miscalculated the carbs... I was 302 post lunch! What?! I corrected and was 181 pre dinner. Did 4 units of humalog, which was apparently too much because 3 hours later (after my bedtime snack), as I'm laying in bed I test and am at 70. Okay, some juice. Wow, I feel really low for a 70... hmm, let me test again. Oh good, 45 now! A fruit leather and granola bar to follow. I only let about 10 minutes pass, but I felt like crap and was all clammy, test again and I'm at 44. So, frustration led me to eat a small bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats, which certainly did the job. Woke up at 4:30 a.m., tested and was... you guessed it: HIGH! 365 to be exact! So, it's 9:30 a.m. and I'm still coming down and haven't eaten breakfast yet. Wait, yes I did... last night!

Now I guess forgeting my lunch shot and having to correct late in the day started me on a roller coaster of highs and lows... but I can't help wondering if the flu shot I got yesterday had anything to do with this instablity? Thoughts?!

So, in the end I still feel good about my A1C... this is a marathon, not a sprint right? :)

2 Comments:

  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said…

    Yes, my son has been on that very same rollercoaster many times (wish it were less).

    On the flu shot-- I only have anecdotal info to share here -- Joseph got his shot early last Friday evening, and was high as a kite (300s) for several hours overnight -- despite a number of aggressive (and usually effective) corrections...

    And finally, do you ever take glucose tabs for a low? Or Smarties (6 grams per roll)?
    Both are pure glucose (with a glycemic index of 102), and are going to bring you up MUCH faster than fruit juice (GI for OJ is only 53; for apple juice, just 40).

    And, last thought here-- I agree, this is absolutely a marathon, Kelsey. And you have every right to feel really, really good about that A1c.

    6.4 is awesome!!

    Well Done!

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Great A1c, Kelsey. You should feel pretty damn proud of yourself!

    On the flu shot tip, my persuasive doctors at Joslin forced me to get one. "Kerri, you're in the risk group. You're getting a flu shot." And how do you, as a diabetic, explain to the Joslin Diabetes Center that you're afraid of needles? Or at least needles that you aren't controlling? So up went my sleeve. And in went the needle. And up went my bloodsugars the next day. As did some trace ketones. And this dry throat, mild fever routine. But three days later, I was perfectly fine. No issue.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home