Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Lows and A1C

I have a complaint this morning... So, I tend to get low in the early morning from my Lantus, unless I eat just the right snack the night before. Usually this doesn't bother me too much, I just have breakfast at 5 a.m.! However, I was planning to get my blood drawn for my A1C this mornig before work, which as we all know means... fasting! I had great blood glucoses all day yesterday and had a light dinner. My bg was 160 about an hour and a half after dinner, so I had a little snack of a brown rice cake with PB&J and milk. Silly me, didn't really factor the exercise I'd done yesterday morning... so yep, woke up at 5:00 a.m. with a 44 :) Fun! No blood test for me today. The reason this is annoying is that I already have my endo appointment for next Wednesday, thus I have to get the test run by then. Luckily the lab is open on Saturdays, so I'll just run in tomorrow morning... If I can keep the morning low away!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said…

    Kelsey,

    Saw your link on a comment you left over at Johnboy's site and thought I'd stop by...

    My almost 10-year-old son was dx'd type 1 just last year.

    I realize I'm still pretty new at this, but I'm wondering if taking your Lantus in the morning -- instead of at bedtime -- might help with the lows in the AM. Though Lantus isn't supposed to have any peaks, for some people it can start to tail off a bit by 20-22 hrs (this was the case for my son)... Thus, if you took your injection in the AM, you might see a bit higher bgs as you come to those final hours before the next injection...

    Good luck!

    Oh, and hey, welcome to the O.C!

    I'll add a link to your site this evening.

    Take care,
    Sandra

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    Kelsey, welcome to the O.C.!! I have added a link to you from my site.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    Thanks for the comment Sandra! Yes, I've thought about swtiching to an a.m. lantus injection, but my endo is kinda traditional and he seems to think bedtime is best. I'll push the issue again at our next appointment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home