Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My First Blog!

Welcome to my blog!

For the last several months I have been frequenting what Kerri of "Six Until Me" coined, the "O.C." that is the online community of diabetic blogs. I have found such strength and inspiration in the words of wisdom from fellow diabetics, and I thought "why not add my voice to the mix?"

I have titled my blog "Diabetes Diary" though diabetes will only be one of many topics covered... others will likely be my sister's upcoming wedding, my history courses and thesis, and of course, my favorite topic... my husband Dennis! We've been married one year and 3 days now, and happily the magic is well intact :)

The older I get, yes I'm approaching 26 which I know isn't very old... but anyway, I'm beginning to realize how deeply being diabetic has influenced me. Next year I will have had this disease for over half my life! For those of us who've had type 1 for most of our lives, there's no way to know how our personality or attitude about life would have been different if we were "normal." Being diabetic helps put life in perspective. It puts us in touch with our bodies in a profound way. It gives us a focus, a mission, if you will. Type 1's have to learn to be selfish at times, which for a "pleaser" like me is actually a great lesson.

This will sound odd, but diabetes and all of it's routines are like a security blanket for me. I can't even wind down for bed until I've done my injection of Lantus. Waking up in the morning begins with testing my blood. Office snacks? No way, unless I get low and then I can eat them without guilt! It would be wonderfully freeing to no longer have to worry about injections, highs, lows or carbs anymore, but I bet we'd all experience quite a transition as our daily health concerns didn't demand so much attention.

I think this is a big reason that the "O.C." is so vital to our health... remembering that we're not the only ones obsessed with the day to day struggles of managing diabetes. Being focused on ourselves is crucial to our control, but it can also make us feel all alone.

Thanks for letting me add my voice to this incredible group!

~Kelsey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home