Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Infusion set issues.

I've been using the Cleo 90 infusion sets and have been quite pleased with them.

The issue I'm experiencing lately is they're not sticking properly when inserted! A couple weeks ago I had one that stuck perfectly! Simply gorgeous :) However, since then, they're not sticking!

I end up wetting the edges with the IV prep and resticking it while it's wet. This lead me to believe that perhaps it would stick better if the IV prep wipe hadn't completely dried. Not so much. Now I'm wondering if I'm doing something else wrong?!

Anyway, I have an endo appointment on Wednesday where I'll see the nurse that trained me on the pump, so I should get some help then. But, if you're a Cleo user and have any advice, I'm all ears!

Side note: I actually LOVE the Cleo sets, they're painless and very easy to use. This issue is certainly due to user-error!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Bernard said…

    Kelsey

    Take a new IV Prep pad and do this experiment (we did with the kids, they love the tackiness).

    Wet your forefinger and thumb pads with the IV Prep and wave them (apart) until it's dry. Then touch them together. You'll get a small amount of tackiness.

    Do the same but wave them until it's almost dry. Then touch them together, you'll get much better sticking.

    This surprised me. If your fingers are totally wet or totally dry there appears to be less tackiness than when in-between.

    See if this helps. I normally wave my hand at the site (don't want to blow on it) for a few seconds. Then I insert the set. And this usually works fine for me.

    I also heard you could wipe the IV Prep over the area after the set is in place. That tends to seal the edges better, if you want better sealing against water/sweat.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    I agree, you need to wait till it's almost dry. I can't get them to stick if it's still wet.

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    Kelsey, no issues here with the Cleo 90 sets, and I agree with the above.

    BTW, are you doing something different now or did you open a new box? Just curious as to why this is a new issue.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    Thanks for the advice guys!

    Johnboy,

    I opened a new box a couple weeks ago... Perhaps I'm having issues because I'm trying to insert the site before it's totally dry, but I'm over compensating and the site's too wet.

    I'll get it down :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home