Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Question for the Ladies

I have a pumping during your period question...

Here's what happened: Last night I ate some chicken friend rice from Trader Joe's and half a cup of edamame for dinner, along with a few squares of chocolate! I've learned from experience that soy protein provides a gradual blood glucose rise for me, so I set a 2 hour combo bolus. At bedtime the bolus had just completed, I had almost 3 units on board and my blood sugar was 124 mg/dl.

Went to sleep.

Woke up at 2:40 a.m. (I wake up almost every night to go to the bathroom between 2 and 3 a.m, so I just test while I'm up) I was 134 mg/dl. Since I've been pumping (6 weeks or so now) whenever I test in the 120-150 range in the middle of the night, I wake with a sub 100 reading at 6:30-7 a.m. My basal rate is 0.70 all day (which I know I need to do some testing for) but I've never had issues with dawn phenomenon.

Anyway, woke up for good at 6:15 and tested at 202 mg/dl! WHAT?! I fully expected to be around 90-100 mg/dl given my experiences the last month or so.

My question is, was the rise due to my menstrual cycle or the soy at dinner?! I've heard that women need to change their bagels during their period, but I haven't been pumping long enough to learn what change I need to make. Any suggestions? What do you do?

I don't have good data from Monday night because I had apple pie before bed and had to correct a 303 mg/dl at 3:00 a.m., so I woke up with a 90 mg/dl. I suppose I could see what happens tonight without eating the edamame and then have some soy for dinner one night while I'm not having my period. Now that I'm writing this, it seems like the menstural cycle is a more likely culprit, but I've definitely had weird prolonged rises from soy in the past.

Advice... please!! :)

6 Comments:

  • At 9:24 AM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said…

    Every diabetic reacts differently, so you must try different combinations on yourself. You know your body best, so do not discount your hunches. Both the soy and the menstrual cycles could be the culprit, or even a combination of the two! Or something else. I know that proteins and fats and even low GI carbs increase my bg value during the night. I also know that the more I eat, the longer it will take for my food to digest. If I double my food intake, I will need MORE than twice as much insulin and the meal bolus must be spread over a much longer time period. My bg values for a meal that is a little bit larger than normal may influence my bg values for as much as 24 hours! This is unusual, most people don't seem to be this way, but it is true for me; so you must test yourself and find out what works for you! Experiment over and over and over...... That is my best advice. I have had my pump over two years, and I love it, but you still have to juggle, balance, test AND roll with the punches when the unexpected happens anyway.

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Allison said…

    From my experience and what I know of women with diabetes, almost all women need to raise their basal rates somewhat either before or during menstruation because of the stress that it puts on the body. I go up to 140% basal rate 24 hours a day until my period starts. So i do this 3-4 days before my period. You might want to try figure out what kind of basal profile you need is.

     
  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Kelsey - I'm sorry, I just can't help myself with this one. I got such a chuckle out of a few typos in this post.

    I for one, ALWAYS have to change my bagels during that time of the month. Those damn bagel rates. Oy.

    And I just LOVE that chicken friend rice! It's so much better than chicken enemy rice.

    Ok - I'll stop now.

    And I'm NOT trying to be mean - it happens to all of us. It's just that these particular ones had me cracking up. I would also bet that you were a victim of an over aggressive spell checker...

    And I KNOW I'm just asking for it - so, next time you catch one of mine, let 'er fly man!

    I love you just the same - regardless of your bagel rates... hehehe...

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    Scott!!

    Thanks for pointing those out :) Actually I don't think I can blame spell check for those mistakes, it was all me! I was dashing off a quick post at work, even though I had tons of work to do!

    Glad I could be so entertaining!

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Ah - a case of being caught with the wrong words spelled correctly, than the right words spelled incorrectly!

    There are certain things spell check can't help us with.

    It's all in good fun!

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I have to increase my basals the week before my period and then decrease bolus ratios the week of my period. It's quite a formula, but it works for me

     

Post a Comment

<< Home