Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Happy D-Blog Day

I'm proud to have Type 1 Diabetes.

That's not to say I don't hate having diabetes... but I'm proud of how I'm dealing with it and proud to be associated with other strong, vibrant, healthy people like the members of
the O.C.

I've always been a bit of an A-type personality. (I can hear my mom laughing as she reads this!) My family and friends might argue I'm more than "a bit" of a perfectionist. I'm pretty organized and enjoy having lots on my plate. I may complain about it, but I'm happier having too much to do than not enough.

When I think about the things I accomplish on a daily basis, diabetes is one of the things I pat myself on the back about. Whether my last blood sugar was 100 mg/dl or 300 mg/dl, on a deep, personal level I know that I'm fighting the good fight against diabetes. What other people take for granted: eating when and what they want basically, you and I have to struggle with everyday. That's awesome (in an awe-inspiring way, not a "cool" way).

So, today on our Diabetes Blog Day, my message is that we should feel proud of our hard work. Proud for our daily struggle more than for our degree of success. Whatever else you accomplish and strive for, on top of that, you're a diabetic (or a PWD, depending on your preference).

Thank you, Diabetes O.C. for showing me just how amazing my fellow diabetics are... it makes me that much more proud to be one.

10 Comments:

  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    Kelsey, keep up the good work. We are always here if you need us.

     
  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said…

    "Proud for our daily struggle more than for our degree of success"

    I like that. I like that a lot.

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    I like that a lot too.

    Thank you for all of your contributions and participation in the OC. It makes a difference.

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger Kassie said…

    one of my favorite quotes is "Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow"

    There is much to be said for fighting the good fight.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    Well said, Kelsey. And you are a magnificent example.

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    amen, i feel proud to be a diabetic, with a 174 average so far today :)

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    You're right - we should be proud. Proud of taking such good care of ourselves and of one another.

    Happy D-Blog Day to you, my friend.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    The following comment is from Gina:

    GINA: We all need a pat on the back, and today is just the day to do it!

    Happy D-blog day

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger George said…

    As weird as that sounds to say, I too am proud. You make some great points.

     
  • At 2:03 AM, Blogger justme said…

    now I am proud too.

    thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home