Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself...


The last 18 or so hours of my life have been humerous (in hind-sight). Here's the rundown:

Yesterday was a typical crazy day at work. I was running around, finalizing financial statements all day and finally got to take a breath at about 4:45 p.m. My plan was to do a basal test overnight last night. Per the instruction in Pumping Insulin, I figured I'd eat dinner at 5 p.m., so I'd have a solid 5 hours between my dinner bolus and bedtime. So, on my drive to pick up my husband, I downed a PB&J sandwich on whole wheat. I bolused for 57 carbs, after calculating the carbs the night before (I even used a tablespoon to measure the jelly!) I had a haircut at 6 p.m. Came home and enviously witnessed my husband watching the NLCS game while drinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's (MY favorite!) Tried to hide my resentment at him enjoy the beers while I was fasting for my basal test.

I tested my blood at 7:30 p.m. and was met with 213 mg/dl. NO!! So, I did a small correction (had IOB already). At 9 p.m. I was 195 mg/dl. Frustrated, I did another correction. Went to bed at 9:15 p.m. Woke up at 2 a.m. with my blood sugar at 48 mg/dl. Nice. Basal test out the window at this point. Rather than have my typical O.J. for a low, since I was starving, I dug into the peanut butter and chocolate chips with two glasses of non-fat milk. (I like peanut butter, can you tell?!) I set an extended bolus for my obvious overcorrection for the low. Got back into bed... can't sleep. I've had this happen before, when my body starts digesting all that protein and fat, it doesn't sleep. WHY, OH WHY didn't I just have some juice?!? Lay awake for over two hours. Annoyed at my husband from breathing, or touching me, or doing anything!

My blood sugar stayed in the low 200s throughout the rest of the night, regardless of my repeated corrections. Woke up at 230 mg/dl and corrected. (Finally was 119 mg/dl by 8:45).

Got dressed in a hurry this morning in order to get to work early so I can leave at 4 p.m. to work on my thesis. (Yes, I have WAY too much on my plate right now!) I'm tired and hungry and VERY irritable. My very helpful husband got up early to move furniture because we're having the carpets cleaned today.

As I'm leaving, weighed down with all my bags, my husband calls to me "Can you move your books real quick?" I have books for my thesis stacked all over the living room.

I sighed, "Babe, I'm exhausted, can't you move them?"

He replies, "You know what order they're in."

I snap, "They're not in any ORDER!" while I start stacking them on the kitchen table.

As I finish moving the books, my husband enters the living room, "How am I going to move the table since it's covered with books? Can you put them on the couch?"

"Fine!" I start tossing the books on the couch. While my husband moves the table into the kitchen.

"Bye!" I yell as I pick up my bags to leave.

Wait, the table is now blocking the front door. I struggle to edge the table ever so slightly so I can squeeze out the door. Not working.

I drop all my bags and yell, "Damnit Dennis, the table is blocking the door!"

He comes out and yells back, "Don't yell at me! Just move it!"

So I shove the table back, grab my bags and march out the door. I can hear my husband muttering, "You better not have broken a leg of the table!"

An hour later I called my husband and sheepishly apologized for being so irritable. I also reminded him that I NEED him to help me if I'm going to work full time, write a thesis, be a wife, get my diabetes in perfect control for our upcoming pregnancy, etc. He's totally on board.

The reason this is so funny is that it's completely atypical for us. I'm pretty easy going, and my husband even more so. We don't really fight or even have many disagreements. Wow, was I in a mood this morning.

I was so frustrated with the pump. I'd tried hard to do what I was supposed to in testing my basal rate, and it totally blew up in my face. Obviously I didn't bolus enough for the sandwich and then made a poor choice in correcting the low... but man! So frustrating.

I think I'm going to test my nighttime basal by trying to eat an earlier dinner, so that my dinner bolus is pretty much out of my system by 10 p.m. Eating as early as 5 p.m., however, doesn't seem like the best way to test, since it's not at all my habit. Wouldn't it be better to see how my basal works on a typical night?

Ironically, my overnight blood sugars Monday night were superb! I was 113 mg/dl at bedtime, had 4 oz of milk and woke up at 6:30 a.m. with my blood sugar at 98 mg/dl.

Maybe I didn't need to test my basal rate at all!

6 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    Gee, I didn't even know you could correct in doing a basal test.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger George said…

    Everytime I try to do a basal test there seems to be something that screws it up! You are not alone there.

     
  • At 2:58 AM, Blogger Lyrehca said…

    Overnight basals are the toughest to figure out. I know *I* never eat at 5pm usually!

    Good luck in figuring it out--my overnights were wacked for years, but once I finally figured them out pre-pregnancy, it was like a whole new world.

    And I can so relate to eating peanut butter. I love the stuff. I just found this gourmet dark-chocolate flavored peanut butter. Lots of bolusing kept my sugars fine on a recent taste-test, but damn, the stuff is like a jar of candy. In peanut butter form.

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Hi Kelsey,

    I get all "snappy" when I'm feeling overloaded and/or my BG's are out of whack. Or maybe I'm overloaded BECAUSE my BG's are out of whack...??

    On the basal rate testing thing. Now it has been well over 8 years since I've evaluated my basals (hmmm, time to look at it ya think?), but from what I understand, the goal is not to "simulate" a typical night, but rather to try to eliminate as many variables as possible so that you are SURE the changes you are seeing in your BG's are from the basal rates - and not some impact of carbs or insulin on board.

    This may have changed in the long time since I've looked at it. I did get the latest edition of "Pumping Insulin", but like so many of the books I buy to help me align my ducks, it has yet to be read.

    I struggle with this test too because I believe I digest slowly and have a long duration of insulin action. So I would pretty much have to have a late afternoon lunch/dinner/lupper (you know, like Brunch, but with "Lunch and "Supper" ...) and that way I'd be clear for bed by the time 9 or 10 rolled around.

    It's all about eliminating variables (I know, impossible, but we do the best we can). You want to be sure that any changes you are seeing are a result of your basal rate.

    It's also wise to repeat the test on another day, to be sure whatever you saw happens again, and was not from some uncontrollable variable.

    All of this makes basal rate testing so very intimidating and HUGE - which is probably why I've not put much effort into it in the last 8 or more years.

    But - that being said, you really can't iron anything else out until you are sure your basal rates are good.

    God, it's so frustrating sometimes to think of just how much work all of this takes. Almost makes me not want to think about it.

    I hope that some of this information makes sense - but like I say, the thoughts may be different now than they were back then. I would go with a more reliable source than me if I were you.

    :-)

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Even though this is still hard for me to comprehend, this is a real eyeoepner, if you may, to how my daughter is going to live a perfectly normal life. Meaning your "snappyness" to your husband, juggling numerous things at once, trying to balance everything including your BG. It is all real life normalcy that both me and my wife really have to belive that emma is going to experience, but just with an ad-on of her diabetes.
    Thanks for being real and showing me that this totally does not consume your life.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Sandra Miller said…

    Kelsey-

    Sorry to be so late in chiming in here-- I'm just now catching up on the many blog posts I've missed recently.

    Anyhow, we've done a number of overnight basal tests with Joseph (also using Pumping Insulin), and I have to agree with Scott-- it really is about eliminating variables.

    So, eating earlier is a very good idea, but also, eating something that digests quickly will make a huge difference.

    A peanut butter sandwich (at least for Joseph) takes a while to digest -- more so, if it's on whole wheat.

    We usually do a combo bolus for one of those, thus it's not something he'll eat if we're doing a basal test.

    Soup (vegetable or even chicken noodle), french bread and some lowfat milk -- eaten early -- usually works well for our basal tests.

    I'll tell you, we still struggle with the afternoon basals-- Joseph can never quite make it through without needing to eat.

    But (thankfully) his overnight basals are solid.

    Our only difficulty at night is matching meal boluses to high fat/high fiber foods-- especially when daytime activity levels are so variable.

    Good luck with this!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home