Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Upsetting Endo Experience with a Happy Ending

So, today was my quarterly endo appointment. I had my blood drawn for the A1C last Friday and was all set to see my doctor. I've been going to this doc for about 9 months and previously had a good rapport with him.

I get to the office at 10:25 a.m. for my 10:30 a.m. appointment and proceed to wait about 45 minutes before being called back to an exam room. Pretty typical, but I did notice how crowded the waiting room was. The CDE came in first and we had a short chat. She doesn't seem all that educated, in fact I informed both the CDE and the endo about the emerging Omnipod during my last visit.

Anyway, the doc comes in and hurriedly asks how I'm doing. He brings up whether I am interested in the pump. I'm momentarily confused since on two of my previous visits we've discussed the pump and he even said that "it's not for everyone" and since I'm maintaining an A1C in the low to mid 6's, it wasn't necessary. I told him (again) that I'm not interested in going on the pump, though I'd like to look into the Omnipod when it comes on the market.

He then mentions that since I'm planning to get pregnant in about a year, I should get my A1C down to 5.6 and says that my current A1C of 6.3 is "okay." This is the same guy that told me three months ago that my 6.4 was wonderful and that A1Cs in the 5's usually mean a lot of hypoglycemia and thus are not necessarily to be the goal. Now I'm really confused... or more accurately, annoyed!

Finally (about 3 minutes total have elapsed since the doc entered) I tell him I need new prescriptions. I do the mail order plan and need them written out for 3 months supplies with 3 refills:

He asks me how many test strips I need and suggests, "300 a month?"

I quickly do the math and reply, "Sure I can use as many as 10 per day."

He then looks at me disapprovingly and says, "How about an average of 6 per day, so I'll write it for 540 strips for 3 months."

What?! How in the world did he go from 10 a day to 6?! I was a little too surprised to say anything, but luckily remembered to ask him for a 100 strip prescription to fill locally, since I'm pretty low on them right now.

After writing the slips, I asked him if they were for a whole year (he has these really weird looking prescription slips and it wasn't obvious that the appropriate refills were listed.) He rudely answered, "Yes, that's one prescription, refilled 3 times, which makes a whole year!" And then he left.

I sat on the exam table, kinda stunned for a minute, before I realized "I guess it's time to leave."

I went to the reception desk to get my next appointment and give her my co-pay.

I mention to the girl "Wow, he's really busy today."

She replied, "Yeah, it's Wednesday. That's his diabetes day."

I ask, "Diabetes day. What does that mean?"

"Oh, he sees about 30 diabetics on Wednesday mornings."

Well, that explains it! I ask her, "Can my next appointment not be on a Wednesday morning?"

"He has here that he wants to see you on Wednesday morning."

Great. Fine. That will be my last appointment with him.

Now, I understand that doctor's are busy. And really, since I'm not changing my care or anything, there's not that much to discuss. However, I know other endo's look at glucose meter print outs or go over log books, neither of which he's done. This doctor is older and not up to date on diabetes advancements at all. If I just needed a doctor to get my A1Cs done and give me my prescriptions, I could go to my primary care physician.

I called the office back and informed them that the doctor wrote my test strip prescription for far less that I need. The nurse took down the correct numbers and said she'd mail me a slip for that amount. We'll see...

So, back at the office, I made some calls to the UCSD Endo Department. They have some of the best doctors and particularly a great Reproductive Endo group. I have a call into them and hope to get in as a new patient in a few months. So, maybe this was a blessing in disguise...

Okay, literally as I'm typing this I got a call back from the UCSD Reproductive Endo group and just had a delightful conversation with one of the CDE. I'm very excited about the program they have there and I will be in really great shape for my future "high risk pregnancy."

Funny how things work out :)

3 Comments:

  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said…

    Kelsey,

    Good for you for taking such swift and appropriate action on this!

    It's bad enough that we have to battle insurance companies to get approval for the test strips we need (I'm bracing ourselves for yet another go round, as we just got this year's prescription for 300 strips, and our insurance company ALWAYS balks at this amount).

    If this doc is so concerned about your so-called high A1C of 6.3 (which, by the way, is AWESOME!!), then why isn't he willing to provide you with an adequate amount of test strips.

    Does he think that testing less frequently will somehow lower your A1c?

    Ridiculous.

    Again, I am really glad you've found far superior care elsewhere.

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Erica said…

    Amen. Thank goodness you found a new endo! oh yes, the 'high risk pregnancy' - so much fun!! I'm glad you found someone so knowledgeable about diabetes and pregnancy because I'm astounded daily about how much misinformation T1 women get about it. Not to mention I'm floored at how many drs are still in the dark ages thinking that a pregnant woman with T1 automatically means c-section or early induction.

    Off my soapbox now, LOL.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Not Your Type 1 said…

    I had the same experience with my last endo. She never could be reached, she only wanted to see me every six months, and I could never get accurate prescriptions from her. I have recently started seeing a new endo and she is amazing. I am really glad you are going to have the same "new" experience that I have had!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home