Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Don't you hate it when...

you don't factor something in to your insulin dose or food decisions and end up low or high?

Lately I've been eating less and being more aggressive with my insulin. Good control has largely been the result of these efforts. However, sometimes I determine my insulin dose simply based on the carbs I'm eating or what my blood glucose currently reads. Or I'll decide to have a snack based on my blood sugar without thinking through whether I'm on the way up or down. There are so many other factors!

Here's an example... Well two actually. Last night we had a late dinner (my husband and I ran around town looking for a book I'm supposed to have read for class tomorrow, since Barnes and Noble can't seem to remain faithful to their shipping dates!) Anyway, I did my dinner shot a little after 8 p.m. I was 139. I was eating about 70 carbs, with a good amount of protein. As I got ready for bed and did my lantus at 10 p.m., my blood sugar was 142. I tend to get low in the early morning, so I had about half a granola bar and some milk. I woke up at 5 a.m. and I was at 242 mg/dl. What?! Well, now that I think about it, the time between my dinner test and my bedtime test were only 2 hours apart and I had a lot of protein, I was probably going up at bedtime, not down. Also, I have lows at night when I exercise, which I hadn't done in two days. I know these things, why didn't I consider them when deciding whether to have a bedtime snack?

So, at 242 and about to exercise this morning to a Tae-bo tape which I love! I gave myself 1 unit of humalog. About an hour after my workout I was at 89 mg/dl. Great! I had my breakfast of Frosted Mini Wheats and milk and gave myself 3 units (I have cereal down pat!) I get to work and immediately start to feel low, I'd just done my injection an hour ago! I tested and was 70 mg/dl. Uh oh! A light yogurt was scarfed down as I realized: "Kelsey, you still had a unit of insulin in your system from before your workout, plus obviously your body is using the insulin more efficiently due to the exercise!" I just had my 60 carb breakfast and automatically did 3 units (my ratio is usually 1:20) without consider what insulin I already had in my system or what other factors would be effecting my blood sugar! Frustrating!

I suppose I just need to think through a few extra factors before deciding my food and insulin choices. Or maybe it's getting up at 5 a.m. everyday that's messing with my focus :)

3 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Hi Kelsey,

    I think that it's the fact that there are a million things to keep track of, and it's just plain hard sometimes!

    The 5:00 A.M. thing doesn't sound run either...

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Sometimes my bloodsugars cruise all over the place, taking advantage of every variable available. The "no reason" highs and the "What the F..." lows and too sensitive to insulin one day and too resistent the next ...

    I feel your pain!

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger bethany said…

    I just wanted to stop by and say hi. I really enjoy reading your posts. Hopefully if you don't mind I'll add your site to my list tomorrow! Hope you have a great day/night!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home