Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Friday, June 29, 2007

The Power of Unclogged Tubing

Wednesday night before bed, my blood sugar was elevated due to underbolusing for my dinner of spaghetti with whole wheat noodles. I corrected, and set my alarm for midnight, to make sure I was coming back down.

Midnight: 119 mg/dl. Good, better.

5:30 a.m.: 241 mg/dl. WTF?! "Damn," I thought, "those noodles, sometimes they do cause a delayed spike, I'd forgotten."

Fairly aggressive correction bolus, since I'd be waking up for the day shortly anyway.

6:45 a.m.: 239 mg/dl. Now, really, what's going on?!?!

Detached the pump and checked it out by filling the tubing. Nothing comes out. Message: Blockage Detected.

4 units via syringe, change the tubing and reservoir, low carb breakfast. Good to go.

I called Smiths Medical (Cozmo) to ask why it takes so long to get a blockage detected message when, obviously, I hadn't been receiving adequate insulin for quite some time. Apparently, that message is triggered by the amount of back pressure in the pump, which must exceed 5 units before sounding the alarm. My basal rate doesn't create enough pressure, thus I will only see the blockage message during a large meal bolus, or when I try to fill the tubing.

I suppose going forward, whenever I have an unexplained high reading, I'll try to fill the tubing before delivering my correction bolus. With the pregnancy, I hate to stay high any longer than absolutely necessary.

The night, with my happily, unclogged tubing, my blood sugars were much better:

9:30 p.m.: 122 mg/dl

10:15 p.m.: 111 mg/dl

Midnight: 70 mg/dl (10 grams carb)

4:00 a.m.: 83 mg/dl (5 grams carb)

7:00 a.m.: 85 mg/dl.

Upon reading those numbers off to my husband this morning he responded, "Amazing what some unclogged tubing can do!" :)

*** In other pump news... even though I technically missed the deadline for my Cozmo upgrade, the nice folks at Smiths Medical extended the offer, and I was able to complete the test and submit a new prescription a few weeks ago. I've been waiting for my color pump to become available, so I haven't received it yet. However, we're going out of town for two weeks starting Tuesday, so I called to make sure we weren't going to miss it. It so happens that they were planning to mail it out yesterday. I had them change the address to my mom's. I will receive my shiny new pump with all it's extra bells and whistles next weekend when I arrive in Humboldt! Nothing like a new gadget!***

3 Comments:

  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Bernard said…

    That's strange. I don't know that I've ever had a clogged tubing in over 9 years of pumping.

    Though I have had similar symptoms to what you describe. I generally put them down to poor absorption. Whatever causes them, they're a royal pain.

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    The new pump rocks- you're gonna love it!

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You know, I wondered about that. I had clogged tubing once when I had a low reservoir and I was sleepy and out of it and thought the fact that I had enough insulin in my pump (technically) to last till morning would be enough. So minimum five units of pressure, huh? Good to know. Ditto on the new pump thing. I got my upgrade about six weeks ago and I'm loving it (but not in that weird McDonalds commercial way).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home