Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Thigh Sites

I have a question for all of you pumpers out there...

On Saturday, I inserted my first thigh site. I was pretty pleased with myself :)

However, over the last couple of days, I've noticed a delay in insulin absorption. I'm had some highs after meals, and my correction boluses are definitely taking longer to kick in that they did in my stomach sites. Is this typical?!

I've resorted to giving myself insulin injections in the tummy to bring highs down, which is inevitably followed by lows (rage boluses, I must admit.)

Anyway, anyone have some insight into the thigh site issue?! What do you do to counteract the absorption delay... just bolus earlier?

Thanks everyone :)

7 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Hey Kelsey,

    I tried a thigh site one day and didn't have great luck with it. It was more due to me goofing it up though.

    For some entertainment you can read about it (http://scotts-dblife.blogspot.com/2007/04/mixing-variables.html).

    :-)

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Bernard said…

    I'd be interested also.

    I used my thigh a few weeks ago and had much more lows for the 3 days that it was in. I needed to reduce my basals about 15% for the duration.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger ..M.. said…

    I'm not a pumper, but I've found with MDI I can't use the thigh for fast-acting insulin - unless it's a high fat & low carb meal that will take a while to digest. The leg is GREAT for Lantus though, makes it last the distance!

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Drea said…

    I don't find any differences when I use my thighs.....except I pull too many by accident!

     
  • At 4:26 AM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    No difference in absorption noted, but ditto Drea on accidentally pulling the site out!

    You may want to ask Kerri. This is a favorite site location for her, I think.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Cara said…

    I just did my first ever thigh site 2 days ago. I have begun noticing the same things. I talked to a friend of mine who is a paramedic. She said that it is possible that insulin takes longer to absorp in muscel vs. fat. I don't know if that is your case, but I have more fat tissue around my stomach. With more muscle in the thigh it seems to be taking longer to kick in.
    I think I am going to try to get an idea of how this thigh site effects my blood sugars differently and then maybe set another basal rate for the days I have a thigh site vs. a stomach site.

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Kelsey said…

    Thanks for the comments guys!

    Yes Cara, I too have much more muscle in my thighs than my stomach, I'm pretty sure that contributed to the slower absorption.

    Also, my endo just told me to avoid thigh sites since it adds another variable that we can do without.

    So far I'm not having much trouble finding good sites on my stomach and waist, so I'm happy to stick with those sites for now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home