Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Friday, February 16, 2007

Help for a New Diabetic

Hello everyone!

I'm been absent from the O.C. lately, though not by choice. Between work, my thesis and insanely tight diabetes control, life is just passing me by these days.

Hopefully my thesis will be done in about 6 weeks!! Yeah!

Then we can focus on pregnancy and all that fun stuff :)

In the meantime, my best friend, who works as a counselor at a small Catholic middle school in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco left me a voicemail yesterday about one of her students. He was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He's having a hard time adjusting to the disease (like we all did) and needs some words of encouragement.

I'm planning to draft the email early next week, so I thought I'd open it up to the blogsphere. What should I tell him? What were the things you wish you'd known when you were first diagnosed?

Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to report on what words of wisdom I come up with.

Have a great weekend!

3 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Sandra Miller said…

    Kelsey,

    You know, I always felt that we were lucky that Joseph was diagnosed before he hit adolescence-- it's such a tumultous time for kids.

    Anyhow, if the boy's parents could look into a support group in the area that would really help (JDRF is a great place to start).

    Also, though I know it won't help immediately, a diabetes summer camp would be awesome.

    The ADA sponsors two camps in CA (unfortunately they're both about 7 hours from San Francisco, but the fee for the one in Santee is only $50!). There are also a number of ADA camps in the Portland area (which may be closer), including a family camp.

    Can't tell you how much it helped Joseph to meet other kids who understood what he was going through. And for us to meet other families learning to cope with this diagnosis.

    As far as anything else I wish I'd known sooner-- I would have liked to have known that we didn't have to start Joseph on NPH. That stuff is brutal. A month after diagnosis we put him on Lantus, and the difference was huge.

    Kelsey, feel free to share my email address with this family if they'd like to talk. It's sandra-lm@yahoo.com.

    Take care,
    Sandra

    p.s. Hey, good luck with the thesis!

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Allison said…

    www.diabetesteentalk.com

    'Nuff said.

    People like your friend's student is why the site exists.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Kassie said…

    diabetes camp.

    http://www.diabetescamps.org/uscamps.php#CALIFORNIA

    at 16 he could go for a CIT program. Or he could look into adventure camping. Or Conrad/Chinnock
    has a high-school only camp. One of the programs offers a teen cruise.
    It's not just tenting and cheesy arts & crafts :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home