Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Monday, June 25, 2007

A High Fasting Blood Glucose

As I'll assume you all know, a type 1 diabetic pregnancy brings with it the quest for extremely tight blood sugar control (without too many lows, of course, since that's so simple!)

I'm working very closely with my OB and a CDE at the University of California, San Diego who I just adore! They're quite knowledgeable and have a great "bedside manner" and are wonderfully supportive and helpful.

Dennis and I met with the doc and our CDE on Friday afternoon. We got to see the baby via ultrasound (again!) This child already has nearly a photo album full of pictures! Now that I'm almost done with my first trimester (tomorrow kicks off #2) we could see everything more clearly, including a little wave :)

Before we got to the fun of seeing the little one again, we went over my blood sugars. The CDE went through the week's numbers and highlighted lows in blue and highs in red. I laughed out loud when I saw one of my fasting numbers highlighted in bright red: 101 mg/dl I told the CDE that she'd upset a lot of diabetics by telling me that was a high reading!

Of course, I understood what she meant... my goal is to wake up at 90 mg/dl, so technically 101 mg/dl is high :)

Being a bit of a perfectionist, I proceeded to have an amazing overnight blood sugar that evening. I attribute this to what we ate: Green Curry soy "chicken" with brown rice and veggies from this amazing vegan fusion restaurant. Soy definitely has a great blood sugar stabilizing effect!

I had some ice cream before bed, when my blood sugar was 79 mg/dl, bolused.

Woke up at midnight to test: 117 mg/dl.

Slept through the night (I think the healthy dinner digested very easily because both my husband and I slept like rocks) to wake up at 8 a.m. at 88 mg/dl!

Ha, take that "Ms. 101 mg/dl is high!" :)

1 Comments:

  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Kevin said…

    You're right. I get ticked off when my OneTouch software highlights a reading in the 120s as high (regardless of the time of day, that's pretty damn good in my book!).

    I can't imagine the stringency required for a healthy pregnancy. I wish you the best of luck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home