Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Me, as a Pumper

I've been pumping now for nearly 5 months... seemed like a good time for an update on my experience as a pumper:
  • First of all, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Cleo 90 sets! They're so easy and painless, and actually pretty darn cool. I get such a kick out of the way the tubing "clicks" onto the set. I've had a little trouble with getting new sites to stick, but usually just when I'm in a rush and don't allow the IV prep to dry enough. Even then, I just apply more of the prep and it sticks wonderfully. Not to jinx myself, but I haven't had any sites come out on their own yet :)
  • I've found that the "Insulin on Board" junction helps me a lot. When I'm having a snack and my blood sugar is where I want it to be, the pump helps me to know just how much insulin I need to cover the food without stacking insulin. I've also learned that "IOB" can be misinterpreted: it does not mean "Look, I can eat 30 carbs, and the pump recommends zero insulin!!" I have to figure in what I've already eaten!
  • Sleeping with my pump on has been a breeze! I often hear fellow O.C.er's talk about being tangled up in their tubing, but I've never experienced it. Since I'm a side-sleeper, I just clip my pump to my shorts or PJ pants, right in the middle of my stomach. I tuck the tubing in the band (like I do with my regular clothes) and the pump moves with me as I turn between my sides during the night. Couldn't be easier!
  • Bolusing before meals helps SOOOO much with postprandials! I never realized how slow insulin really was until I started bolusing 20-30 minutes before meals. I've been as low as 70 mg/dl at breakfast, bolused for my cereal and waited 20 minutes to eat. I didn't bottom out and my one hour postprandial was awesome!
  • I love the pump for eating in public places. I never really minded drawing up insulin and injecting at the table before, but now I'm so happy to be free of it! Nowdays, I'll test my blood on the way to eat, say in the car or at home before we leave. If it has been awhile since a bolus, I don't need to test right before I eat... thus, when it's time to bolus, I just pull out the pump, punch in the carbs and deliver it. So, much easier than dealing with injections!
  • The pump has helped me pinpoint what caused particular blood sugar rises. When I was on lantus, I didn't know what necessarily caused a high reading. Now, when I have something atypical, like honey roasted peanuts after dinner, and I climb steadily through the night, I know that was the food choice, not my insulin dose that caused the spike.
  • I'm able to monitor my eating and stay within a goal range for carbs per day with the pump. My Cozmo (and I'm sure other pumps) have a History screen where I can see my insulin delivery for many days, as well as my basal as % of TTD and carbohydrate totals each day. For me, if I stay under 150 carbs in a day, and less than 26 units of insulin, I see better blood sugars and maintain my weight. With a quick glance, I can see how I'm doing, and not freak out too much over days like the Superbowl when my insulin total was closer to 35 units!
  • I'm still surprised by how quickly the pump incorporates into ones life. My husband and I were discussing this on Sunday. He expressed that it seemed like forever ago that I was doing injections. I reminded him that it was only 5 months ago! I agreed that it would take me a couple mintues to feel comfortable doing an injection again!

This little pump has become my constant companion, and I don't mind him much at all. Sure, certain pairs of pants make him harder to tuck away, but we figure it out. There's something comforting about having my insulin with me at all times, and the control I want is much easier to achieve with this device.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Kerri. said…

    Yay for pumping! I just passed my three year mark with my pump and you're absolutely right - it's amazing how quickly that little sucker becomes integrated into life.

    Glad to hear that you're doing so well!

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Time flies when you are pumping. I've been pumping 11 years, and I can't imagine doing it any other way. You sure are ambitious with bolusses though, I bolus after I eat!

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    I'm glad it's going so well!

     
  • At 11:21 PM, Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said…

    I LOVE my Cozmo pump too - I have had a pump since September 2004. My pump is my true VALENTINE. Your comments on IOB are so true - you MUST remeber that the food you have already eaten will need the insulin on board. Additional food requires additional insulin. That is what works for me at least! Each person has to kind of know how slowly it takes for them to digest the particular food they have eaten. White bread versus wholewheat bread with fat do NOT digest in the same amount of time!

    I am really interested in using the Cleo90. In europe all the infusion sets have different names. I get so confused. Anyhow I have sent Smiths a request for a Cleo 90. Now I use a Unomedical Contact Detach. What is good about this is that there is no long insertion needle! The needle that remains in you is only 6 or 9mm long and it is metal so you do not get airbubbles around it. Also the contact-Detach has two adhesive spots on your skin, so if you drop the pump, it does not dangle from the adhesive which holds the needle - kind of like double security!

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Connie Lynn said…

    Kelsey, you were the inspiration for me to agree to get a pump when my Diabetes Team at IU said I needed one with Continuous Glucose Monitoring. I can't believe you haven't had any trouble with yours, after some of the horror stories I've heard. I will keep reading your blog, and I'm hoping you will maybe post my url on your site which was made to help raise donations to cover the CGM system that my insurance won't cover. Please pray this goes as well for me as it did for you! I am anxious to be healthy! URL:http://helpconnie.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home