Diabetes Diary

Kelsey's diary about living life with type 1 diabetes.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Postprandials

Thanks so much for the great responses guys!

So, the thing is, I already eat low GI foods... whole wheat everything and all that good stuff. The ideas about lowering basals after meals is very interesting. I'll have to look into that.

For now, my game plan is to bolus early for meals. This way the insulin is kicking in when I start to eat. Sometimes I'm waiting too long, like this morning when I woke up at 88 mg/dl, bolused for my 51 carbs of cereal and milk and then waited 20-25 minutes. After I ate my breakfast I felt low. Not fun. I'll have to be sure not to wait too long to eat.

Besides that, I had awesome results yesterday with my early bolusing:

Breakfast: 70 mg/dl

Postprandial: 105 mg/dl

Lunch: 94 mg/dl

Postprandial: 100 mg/dl

Dinner: 81 mg/dl

Postprandial: 77 mg/dl

I tested 11 times yesterday and my range was 70-124 mg/dl.

Now, if I can only keep this up for the next year or so :)

7 Comments:

  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    I'll say awesome also. Actually, those numbers are incredible. May they continue.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Lyrehca said…

    Totally sweet numbers (and no, I didn't mean for that to sound punny). Nice going.

    One thing, though, is that the occasional high (and yep, they happen) will not immediately make your fetus have a problem or turn them into a fat future type 2 diabetic. Just manage things as best you can, treat the highs often (like you, I probably test up to 15 times a day, sometimes hourly), and do your best. Once you're pregnant, let your doc know about upward trends, fiddle with your basals and ratios as needed, and stay on top of things. I never thought I could do this myself, and what do you know, I'm doing it.

    When does the official TTC start?

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Felix Kasza said…

    Hi Kelsey,

    nice job!

    Although I wouldn't call whole-wheat-anything low-GI, unless you were to crunch the uncooked, unmilled grains beteen your molars. {grin} Cereal is a similar case -- pre-bolusing helps, but even so, I spike horribly if I eat any of that stuff.

    Lows are indeed un-fun; but it may console you a little that a large study recently concluded that they leave no permanent damage, as long as you are not seizing.

    Cheers,
    Felix.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Awesome numbers!

    Wishing you guys the best of luck, and am hoping that you will share your journey with us.

    Take care!

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger Christine said…

    Congrats! It really looks like you have taken care of things.

     
  • At 5:13 AM, Blogger Johnboy said…

    Kelsey, everything looks perfect. So what was the problem again?? ;-)

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger bethany said…

    that's great! i'm glad it's working so well for you ... hey maybe i'll give it a shot - keep up posted! and congrats

     

Post a Comment

<< Home